Similar to last year, I am teaching two modules at CNMAT’s MaxMSP Summer School.
On Friday, I will use CNAMT’s multichannel loudspeaker system to teach spatial audio using Jamoma.
In the last few days I did some maintenance work on the ViMiC max external, mainly to make it more efficient and to take advantage of max6′s 64-bit audio signals. I’m pretty pleased about the outcome – running my test patch, using 8 inputs and 5 outputs, the Vimic_lite method is now down to
18 % 14 % CPU including 1st order reflections. This update will be included in the next Jamoma release.
If you want to try it now, I’ve also updated my standalone demo app for spatializing Major Tom in a 5.0 ITU setup (mac only).
The workshop focused on audio processing within Jamoma, i.e. the JamomaDSP library and the Jamoma Audio Graph. Often our workshop end with a lot of unfinished and also broken code due to conceptual changes in we think Jamoma should work. This time was different: we actually managed to significantly improve the performance and didn’t break anything on purpose. We rather dramatically improved the processing speed and memory cost of the Jamoma Audio Graph and made progress on the Spatialization library. Moreover, Jamoma is ready for 64-bit processing which will be supported with
the upcoming Max6. (See the list of all changes here).
As a side note, it was interesting and a bit cumbersome to use an ipad for sketching ideas on how to improve the pulling mechanism of our audio graph. The sketches result in a kind of Jackson Pollack painting.